North Andover, Massachusetts
- Address:153 Academy Road, North Andover, MA 01845
- Hours:Parson Barnard House open First Saturday of each month from 11-3
The Headquarters/Johnson Cottage are open year round except holiday. The public hours are 10-3; the offices are open M-F, 9-4.
- Admission: Adults: $7; Children 5-16: $5; Seniors 65 and over: $5; Research fees: $15 for the first hour, $10/hour thereafter
- Map: Map
The Society was founded in 1913 by Samuel Dale Stevens, Jr. to preserve the history and traditions of his community. An early collector of both local and New England objects, he was particularly interested in documenting everyday life from 1690 to 1830. Exhibits chronicle the early history of the town from its incorporation as Andover in 1646, separation as the North Parish in 1710 and re-incorporation as North Andover in 1855 to the present day. The Society maintains two sites that feature museum galleries:
- The 1789 Johnson Cottage:
- An artisan's home and workshop, showcasing daily life of men and women in the mid-nineteenth century. Includes collections of early New England furniture, pewter, tools, household items and local artifacts. The Historical Society maintains a Library/Archive which houses personal, town, and church records documenting the community since 1646. The library also contains genealogies, photographs, ephemera and an inventory of historically and architecturally significant North Andover buildings.
- The 1715 Parson Barnard House:
- Home of Andover's third minister, Thomas Barnard. The house features furnished rooms, gardens, exhibits and architectural evolution that depict community life 1715 to 1830. The property also includes a c. 1812 barn with 19th century farming equipment, vehicles and a school room.
Located on Academy Road and Massachusetts Avenue in the historic Old Center of North Andover. Five minutes from Route 495, exit 43. Five minutes from Routes 114 and 125. Fifteen minutes from Route 93, exit 41.
Nearby Area Sites
- Harold Parker State Forest
Provides summer hiking, winter cross-country skiing, picnic area and campground.
- The Museum of Printing
Dedicated to preserving the history of the graphic arts, printing equipment and printing craftsmanship.
- North Andover Historical Society
Founded in 1913 to preserve the history and traditions of North Andover.
- Stevens-Coolidge Place
Formerly known as Ashdale Farm, the Stevens-Coolidge Place was the summer home of John Gardner Coolidge and Helen Stevens-Coolidge from 1914 to 1962. Gardens open year-round, daily, sunrise to sunset.
- Ward Reservation
The Ward Reservation represents the union of more than forty separate parcels of former farm and pasture land whose stone walls, when combined, total more than seventeen miles long.
- Weir Hill
Weir Hill (pronounced "wire hill") is a double drumlin that rises 305 feet and includes more than a mile of shoreline on Lake Cochichewick.
North Andover FarmsENHA Farm Guide
- Andover Flower Farm and Country Store Rte. 114, North Andover, MA 01845, 978-681-8144
- Barker's Farm 1267 Osgood Street, North Andover, MA 01845, 978-683-0785
- Boston Hill Farm 397 Farnum Street (Route 114), North Andover, MA 01843, 978-681-8556
- Leonhard & Eldred Farm 1000 Dale Street, North Andover, MA 01845, 978-683-1158
- Smolak Farms 315 South Bradford St. North Andover, MA 01845, 978-688-8058
North Andover History
North Andover's inland location and its distinctive landscape features — its rivers and lakes, hills and fertile soils — were instrumental in shaping the agricultural and industrial history of the community from the earliest Native American use of the land to the present day.
North Andover originally was the political and religious center of a larger 17th century settlement that included Andover, North Andover and the eastern part of Lawrence. First called Cochiechewick Plantation for the tall trees and rivers, the area was reserved by the General Court in 1634 for an inland plantation; the first settlement was established in 1643 by residents of the coastal towns of Ipswich and Newbury. Although there were boundary changes throughout the 18th century, it was not until 1855 that Andover split into two separate towns, one being North Andover including the Old Center which was the North Parish.
The early agricultural economy was assisted by the grist and fulling mills along Cochiechewick Brook. As an important textile center of Massachusetts, manufacturing of woolen cloth began as early as 1802 when the first textile mill was established. In 1813 the Stevens Mill, the second textile mill of North Andover, was established and began manufacturing broadcloth and flannel. In the mid-19th century a new industrial center emerged at Machine Shop Village with the establishment of a machine shop in 1851 and the first train depot in 1853. In spite of this important industrial center, the M.T. Stevens Mills dominated the industrial scene throughout the 19th and much of the 20th century. Thus the pattern of North Andover’s development was established by the evolution of the mill village with mill worker’s housing near factories, church, factory owner’s residence and stores. Outlying areas remained predominantly rural with a number of farms and a few large estates.
The population increased substantially throughout the 20th century with the success of the textile mills, attracting many immigrants to the area to work in the mills. The population of less than 5,000 in 1890 nearly doubled to just under 10,000 in 1950. In spite of the closing of many mills when businesses moved south, a substantial increase in population occurred in the second half of the 20th century due to suburbanization and the construction of Routes 93 and 495. By 2000 the population rose threefold to over 26,000 residents.